Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Modern Warfare 2's Serious Problem

Call of Duty is a great money-making franchise and it has tons of appeal for gamers who enjoy intense FPS games with depth and emphasis on team-work. When Modern Warfare 2 released in November of 2009 it was a landmark event. Gamers everywhere clamored for a copy of the game. As a developer Infinity Ward is a great game studio overall. The initial quality of MW2 is stunning. However, to quote a famous phrase, "Houston, we have a problem." In-game glitching and some unbalanced weapons are infecting online matches and making the gameplay unbearable. At the time of this posting, I am seriously pissed off with the situation. I know IW has a patch forthcoming that is suppose to fix a number of issues, but that doesn't change my mood any right now. Let me run you through a game I participated in last night with some friends: The game type was Sabotage (first time to try this type) and the map was Terminal. 4 of us were working together to achieve the objective of placing a bomb on the enemy target and blowing it up. After just a few minutes, it was apparent that the other team had no intention of playing the game this way. They would defend their target and shoot us when we tried to plant the bomb, but they never once attempted to take the bomb and plant it on our target. Instead, the care packages started to show up. Pretty soon the map was filled with harriers, helicopters, bombers, and missiles. It was ridiculous. At one point, I hit the select button to see what the kill counts were, and almost the entire enemy team had 30+ kills. I had only been shot by an opposing player 3 times the whole match. This my friends, was the notorious 'Care package glitch' in all its awfulness. At one point 3 enemy harriers and 1 Apache were hovering above me and my team. Needless to say, once we figured out what was going on, we left the match. I was furious. From what the forums of my favorite game sites say, its not getting any better. In short, this angry gamer is not playing online anymore, unless its a private match or something set up by my friends, until the patch is released that is suppose to fix this issue and a few others (like the 1887 shotgun range). To help make my point I am embedding a video here for you to watch where Killthrash (an honorable member of 2old2play.com) shows how the care-package glitch is done and as a bonus at 7:30 in the video you will see him get killed by a player with akimbo 1887 shotguns from an absurd range. Here is to hoping that my MW2 strike is short-lived.

2 comments:

  1. So that's why i haven't seen you online lately!
    -galen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that is why. I did try out Hardcore Team Deathmatch the other night and had a better experience but from what ZoonOrama told me, he still encountered glitchers in that mode. So the strike continues sadly.

    ReplyDelete