Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Older Gamers and Today's Shooters

I have found an inspiring article on Wired.com/GameLife today (Read it!). It's right up my alley. I am an avid MW2 player on Xbox Live and can relate to what the article is talking about. The good news is that if you read through all of the comments you will find that you are not alone as an older gamer. I was pleased to know that. I already have a group of older gamers that I play with every week. Guys and gals with families and full time jobs just like me. We often join up in a party and take on the public matches. We often win too. We always communicate enemy whereabouts and spawn areas. It makes the game more enjoyable. The article hits home in more ways than one. For instance it cites the fact that younger players cut their teeth on Halo2 while gamers my age and older started with Pac-man and Donkey-Kong. Big gap there. It also mentions the fact that 'free time' is a factor. Let's face it, the kids in school have no bills, jobs, wives, kids, or responsibilities like us adults so pouring in hour after hour on a game is just unreasonable. In the end though, I think things could be done by developers and manufacturers to cater to us older gamers whom they have been leeching off of for so long. Give us some dedicated servers, or better match-making algorithm's. Also, stating that PC is the platform of choice for adults is just ridiculous. I want to sit on my couch or in my recliner when I load up a game, not at a desk. This older gAmE ZoMbiE will not convert back when clearly console gaming is the wave of the future.

For all you older gamers out there, stick with it. There are sites like 2old2play.com that do cater to the older crowd and can get you in touch with others who are ready to frag.

No comments:

Post a Comment